Monday, December 15, 2008

Delgo Has the Worst Opening in Box Office History

Remember a few posts ago when I said that I couldn't imagine anyone looking forward to Delgo? Well, apparently I was right, because according to Yahoo News it just had the worst opening ever for a movie in wide release. The article says:
"Delgo" earned a measly $511,920 this weekend on 2,160 screens, not even breaking the top ten. That's an average of $237 per screen for the three days. If you figure there were five screenings a day, and assume ticket prices are about $8, that comes out to two people in the theater per showing.
That's pretty rough. But here's the line from the article that really gets me:

By comparison, the Golden Globe-nominated drama "Doubt" earned roughly the same amount of money, but it was only in 15 theaters.
Ouch. I almost feel bad considering the story behind the making of Delgo (see the link), but then I remember how painful the trailer was and I have to wonder how anyone ever thought this movie was a good idea.

No comments: