Friday, November 7, 2008

James Bond vs. Vampires

USA Today is reporting that the teen vampire movie Twilight is absolutely dominating the competition in terms of online ticket sales, including the new James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace. Here's what the article has to say:

According to online movie ticket seller Fandango, Twilight is accounting for nearly two-thirds of ticket sales, and more than 100 shows have sold out for the movie's Nov. 21 premiere. Solace, meanwhile, is accounting for only 6%, even though the movie comes out in eight days.

That doesn't mean Solace won't still win the box office battle when all is said and done, but those are the kinds of numbers that can leave even steel-nerved spies a little shaken and stirred.

My guess (and my sincere hope) is that Quantum of Solace will destroy Twilight at the box office regardless. Twilight looks awful, and there's no way it will attract many viewers from outside of its already-established fanbase, the way the Harry Potter movies have. Most people hadn't even heard of Twilight two months ago, and I imagine bad reviews will kill the interest of everyone other than the most rabid fans of the series. So you can rest easy, Mr. Bond – you have nothing to fear.

1 comment:

Josh Brunsting said...

Hey! On the whole Watchmen thing you commented on my blog about, I must say I do agree. The graphic novel is stunningly brilliant, and while I think it is perfect on the printed page, I think with Zack Snyder at the helm, and the way that the shot's I've seen have been ripped right out of the novel, has me a little more hopeful. I really think that this could be something special, and hearing a geek like Kevin Smith say that it's amazing has my hopes at an all time high. While I think it could ultimatly fail, I honestly think that it could be something amazing. I'll let you know what I think about the novel when I'm done! :)


OH, and on Bond, I've got free tickets to an advance screening on Thursday, so I'm set!